December 21, 2006

Beta R.I.P, long live Blogger

Hahaha... Was wondering why I couldn't get in my blogger account...those google people killed Beta :) hehe...

Wow! Been quite awhile since I last wrote! Been busy, and had no time to relax and write in here. Kind of missed just writing in here. So went to the Summer Palace for the third time this Saturday with a friend. Now, being a foreigner but Asian; especially having oriental features, I noticed something when I’m out in Beijing with white-western friends. I was taking my friend from England to the supermarket. He speaks absolutely no Chinese and so most of the time I was there translating for him. Sales attendants tried to listen in to out conversations, I assumed because they wanted to learn English or because they wanted to test their English level and see how much they could understand. This happened a lot in elevators, public busses, on the street while waiting for the bus; but this was the first time I was asked questions in a supermarket, and also the first time I was asked if I was learning English, when I said I wasn’t and that I was actually learning Chinese, she asked if I was a translator. I told her I wasn’t and that I was just out with my friend who just came to China.

Later that day, on the same day, we went to the Summer Palace. As we were buying drinks, the sales lady asked if I studied abroad, assuming that I learned English outside, met my “foreign” friend, and now taking my “foreign-western” friend back to “my country” to show him around. Not complaining, and there’s really nothing to complain about; just thought to mention it. Just the common annoyance of being prejudged. Could’ve been worst, once someone thought I
was my older brother’s Chinese girlfriend, talk about sic!

No comments: