December 28, 2006

Christmas in China

Just got back from my short Christmas break. The first one I've spent with my family in five years! Didn't feel the Christmas spirit though; maybe it was from the lack of many things such as, snow, caroling, and common Christmas awareness. There were times I forgot it was Christmas. There were decorations hanging on walls, but they all seemed so ---- fake, so artificial. Still, it was nice to be at home having dinner with your own family for once.

Confusing night that it was. Culture wise of course. My brother came up with the idea of having "noche buena," which meant having dinner really late around the hours of 11pm to wait for the coming of Christmas but my dad had a different idea. When he heard about it, he thought about inviting friends and having a Christmas dinner party Chinese style ---- which was around 6-7pm. So while my brother was preparing BBQ and Bibingka cakes for about 10 people for midnight, my dad was inviting friends and their family over for 7pm!

I was caught in the middle, answering calls between them; my dad telling me who else and what time a certain person was coming and my brother asking, "WHY?!" and telling me to tell dad that noche buena was at midnight. My dad says, this is China! Hehe... Almost glad I ran out of load in my mobile then.

Overall it turned out well. There were leftovers and everyone stayed through midnight. Merry Christmas! There's actually supposed to be another party tomorrow for New Year's. Glad I don't have to be in another party. I like small friends and family gatherings, but they always turn into this big "party" which I really find awkward. Anyway... I wonder what the New Year will bring this time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas and a very happy New Year! If you're not having a wild party then I hope you have a very relaxing NYE. Enjoy, and may your 2007 be filled with many happy events.

All the best,

Jonathan

sa~sa said...

Hey Jonathan :)

Thnx, Merry (belated) Christmas to u too, and Happy New Year~
To be honest, mine didn't feel like a celebration at all, but it was still nice to spend it with some friends I haven't seen in awhile. Hope yours was as crazy as u wanted it to be and wish u a great year of the .... pig (is that right? haha...)

take care amigo~