December 4, 2006

Random Food Blabbers

One of the best things about living in Beijing is the variety of food available. It has a lot of everything: Japanese, Italian, French, American, Korean, Thai etc. Even the Chinese food available in the city come from different places in China, making you wonder which in fact are considered by outsiders (foreigners outside of China) to be Chinese food? What is missing though is a Filipino restaurant! Where can I get a decent lechon kawali, sisig, langgonisa, etc. around here? In fairness, I remember going to some big supermarket that sell "pandesal." It's a sweet bun people usually eat in the morning, crispy on the outside for the butter to melt over, and fluffy-soft in the inside, great with or without anything. I miss pandesal!!!

I was out for lunch today and ordered a bowl of beef noodles. It was good; I liked the thick noodles, and I liked the thin, easy to chew beef that came with it, but oh my, I could count exactly how many slices of beef they put in there. You'd think they're trying to save us from cow disease. I was just really disappointed; I wanted more beef in my noodle bowl! Needless to say, I wasn't full when I got out of there. So I had a popsicle too, which was also disappointing because it was vanilla covered with fake chocolate.

Why am I talking about food? Am I still hungry? No. In fact I'm starting to feel the early pangs of a stomach ache. “la du zi” now that is another something anyone who's in Beijing has got to experience before they can say they've been here. There's no better indication that you live in Beijing than getting “la du zi” and getting your bike stolen (over and over again).

What am I saying?! Bottom line is, you got good days and bad days, but eating out in Beijing is (most of the time) a treat; a great treat! I love eating here. I sound like a lame advertiser, but I'm not promoting Beijing. Some think the food here is too oily or fattening or what, but that's the thing, you can find all kinds of food here, whatever it may be that you like. Personally, I like dining here, but of course I know many won't agree, but I don't care, I'm just saying that I! I like it! I enjoy the food Beijing has to offer, whatever country or province it may be from (but not all).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah, the food is definitely one of the highlights of life out here. It's frequently not for the faint-hearted but as long as one can get over the usual Western hang-ups, it's a fantastic treat.

If you do find a Filipino restaurant, please let us know. I've never tried the cuisine and would be interested to give it a go.

All the best,

J